This is a traditional Sindhi Onion Pickle Recipe also called the “Pyaaz Ka Achaar” or “BASAR JI KHATAIRN” or “Sandhyal Bassar” in Sindhi. I learnt it from my Mother-In-Law. The best part is that we do not have to use vinegar (Sirka) & is completely oil free.
Onion is a one of the best things nature gave us. One medium-sized onion has approximately only 44 calories. Onions are packed with the most powerful antioxidant i.e. Vitamin C. They are rich source of Vitamin B, including folate (B9) and pyridoxine (B6), which enhances in metabolism, red blood cell production and increases nerve function. They are a rich source of potassium, a mineral we all lack, specially the western world, due to the current life style. It has cancer fighting compounds, helps control fasting blood sugar level, increases bone density, boosts digestive system, has antibacterial properties and can effectively fight E. Coli (Escherichia coli). For places with extreme heat like the desert areas, consuming onion will save you from the extreme effects of heat strokes. The benefits are countless but let us begin with the Recipe.
This quick and easy onion pickle recipe is made with white onions only. Remember you should not use the red onions for this recipe. It goes well as an add-on with breakfast, lunch & dinner. Once ready-make sure you store it in your fridge. Serve chilled. For breakfasts during summers, it the best thing to eat with parontha & lassi (buttermilk).
It is also served with serve with Chole Bhatura, Vegetable Subz Biryani, Gosht Biryani, Jaipuri Chicken Curry, Dal Tadka, Shikampuri Kebab, Chapli Kebab, Pathar Kebab, Tender Shami Kebab, Kakori Kebab, Galouti Kebab, Crispy Chicken Kebab, Fish Fingers or the famous Makhmali Chicken Kebab.
So, without further delay, let us begin.
|Prep Time||20 Minutes|
- 1 Kilogram(s) White Onions Peeled Use Medium & Small Sized Onions Only
- 1&1/2 TeaSpoon(s) Red Chilli Powder
- 1 TeaSpoon(s) Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
- 6 TeaSpoon(s) Mustard Seeds (Coarsely Powdered)
- 1 Pc(s) Glass Jar
- Drinkable Water
- Cross Slit peeled onions without cutting through.
- In a bowl add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and grounded Mustard seeds with the onions & mix them well as shown in the image.
- Put this spice & onion mixture in sterilized glass jar. Pour water to the level of onions (should be dipped in water)
- Keep the jar in mild sunlight or if it is too hot keep it at a warm place in your kitchen. Keep tasting the pickle in between to check for the sourness you require. Pickle will be ready in two to five days depending upon the weather.
- Once the desired sourness is reached, shift this jar to your kitchen for 2-3 hours to bring it to the room temperature. Post this, store the jar in the fridge to avoid further fermentation. .
- Serve as an add-on with any meal.
Contact Chef: Payal Jethani
Side Dip: Coriander Chutney also goes well as a side dip to add to the taste.
Good to Know: This pickle has its health benefits. It is completely oil free. It keeps our body cool in summers, helps us to beat summer problems like heat strokes and indigestion.
Goes Well With: Paronthas (Paranthas) and with any regular Indian meal.