Konkani or Malvani is the cuisine of the Southern Konkan region of Goa & Maharashtra. Although, Malvani cuisines are renowned for predominantly being non-vegetarian, there are many vegetarian dishes as well.
Konkani Fish Curry from the coastal regions are effortlessly the best curries in the whole world, reason being availability of fresh fish, fresh coconuts & a fresh stock of dry red chillies.
Konkani cuisines are eminent for using coconut liberally in distinct forms such as grated, fried, coconut paste and coconut milk. The spices used in Malvani fish curry recipe include dried red chillies, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin, cardamom, ginger and garlic. Some of the Malvani dishes use kokum, tamarind and raw mango.
The Konkani Style Fish Curry requires a varied range of ingredients to produce a festival of flavors in your mouth. It ranks among one of the classic Malvani cuisines & traditionally it is prepared in earthen pots. It typically uses Pomfret, Kingfish or Makerel, which are easily available in Indian fish markets.
Try your hands on this luscious & finger licking Konkani Fish at home & surprise your guests.
Don’t be afraid to spice up the curry as the fish tends to be bland & coconut milk will add a sweet taste to it. And this Konkani Fish Curry tastes better after a few hours of preparation or even the next day, as the fish absorbs the flavors.
Follow the detailed instructions given below to make scrumptious Konkani Fish Curry at home:
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 500 gram Any Fish Without Nails-cleaned & cut into curry cut pieces
- 3 Tablespoon Edible Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Musturd Seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 5-6 Dry Red Chilies
- 6-7 Dry Curry Leaves
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- Turmeric Powder use a pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 Tablespoon Tamarind Extract
- 2 Medium Sized Onions Finely Grinded to Paste
- 2 Medium Sized Tomatoes Finely Grinded to Paste
- 2 Teaspoon Ginger Garlic Green Chili Paste
- Salt to Taste
For Dry Roast Masala
- Wash the fish pieces thoroughly, apply a little salt and turmeric and set aside.
- Take a small pan and dry roast all the six ingredients. When fragrant, grind them to a powder.
- Now take a bigger pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil & add onion paste. Sauté till it turns light brown.
- Add ginger garlic green chili paste to it & sauté till the oil separates.
- Now add tomato paste and sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add Dry Roast Masala to the mixture and give the ingredients a good stir.
- Now add coconut milk to it and heat for 2-3 mins.
- Add 2 cups of water and give the curry a good boil. Add tamarind extract and cook for another 2 mins.
- Now add fish pieces & let the curry come to a boil. Adjust the salt according to taste. Take care not to overcook it.
- Serve hot with plain rice.
Contact Chef: Sugandha Mathur
You can also try other fish recipes:
One thought on “How To Make Luscious Konkani Fish Curry | Malvani Cuisine”
Gotta try this one asap!!
Thanks for providing such recipes