Dal Tadka is a creamy & smooth lentil based curry that is prepared from pigeon pea (Toor Dal) & tempered with Desi Ghee or Oil & mélange of Indian spices. Savored with delight across the world, it is one of the most popular lentil curries served in almost every Indian restaurant.
Dal Tadka ingredients include pigeon pea (toor daal), Desi Ghee, Whole Red Chili & myriad of Indian spices. This restaurant style dal recipe involves cooking lentils in pressure cooker & then adding it to spices & herbs fried in Desi Ghee or oil.
Dal is well-known as the staple food of India. Each Indian state/region is lauded for its mouth-watering Dal recipes. Some of the popular Dal recipes include Dal Makhani, Dal Fry, Chana Daal & Masoor Dal.
Follow the instructions given below to recreate the restaurant magic at home. Pair mouth-watering Dal Tadka with Jeera Rice, Chapattis or simply steamed rice for extravagant family lunch or dinner.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 200 Gram(s) Tuar Dal
- 100 Gram(s) Moong Dal
- 10 Gram(s) Turmeric Powder
- 10 Gram(s) Red Chili Powder
- 5 Gram(s) Jeera
- 100 Gram(s) Chopped Onion
- 50 Gram(s) Chopped Tomatoes
- 25 Gram(s) Chopped Green Chilies
- 10 Gram(s) Chopped Garlic
- 10 Gram(s) Chopped Green Coriander
- 5 Gram(s) Whole Red Chilies
- 100 Gram(s) Desi Ghee
- 5 Gram(s) Hing
- Rinse the lentils. Add them to pressure cooker along with turmeric & 3 cups of water. Pressure cook & keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add Jeera, Hing powder & whole red chili to it.
- Add garlic & sauté till it becomes golden brown.
- Now add chopped onions, green chilies to pan. Fry them till onion turn brown. Add chopped tomatoes & sauté well until cooked.
- Add cooked Dal, salt & red chili powder to pan. Mix well.
- Pour Dal in a serving bowl & garnish it with green chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with Jeera Rice or chapattis.
Contact Chef: Payal Jethani
If you like this recipe, you may also try: