Vegetable Subz Biryani or Dum Subz Biryani is a healthy main course cuisine made with assorted vegetables. It is a classic Indian delicacy, prepared by placing all the ingredients in a pot. The success to making delicious Vegetable Subz biryani at home is slow cooking. Dum cooking refers to slow cooking.
The pot containing the ingredients is sealed with dough & is cooked on slow fire. This is done to prevent the steam from escaping. Moreover, it allows the spices to infuse properly with the vegetables & rice. This is how Veg dum biryani has the beautiful medley of the aromas, flavors and tastes.
Let us give a restaurant style touch to our Dum Subz biryani by following step by step Subz biryani recipe.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 10 Gram(s) garlic
- 10 Gram(s) Ginger
- 5 Gram(s) Jeera
- 5 Gram(s) Dried Red Chilies
- 2 Gram(s) Coriander Powder
- 2 Gram(s) Cinnamon Stick / Dalcheeni / dalchini
- 2 Gram(s) Clove
- 2 Gram(s) Pepper Corns
- 2 Gram(s) Big Cardamoms
- 400 Gram(s) Basmatic Rice
- 50 Gram(s) Carrot
- 50 Gram(s) Cauliflower
- 50 Gram(s) French Beans
- 2 Gram(s) Bay Leaf
- 50 Gram(s) Onion Slice
- 20 Gram(s) Salt
- 50 ML Edible Oil
- Place rice in a bowl & rinse it in several changes of water.
- Now soak the rice in fresh water for an hour.
- Grind garlic, ginger, Jeera, dried red chilies, coriander powder, cinnamon, clove, pepper corn, big cardamom to make a paste.
- Chop carrot, cauliflower, French beans, & onion separately & keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan (pot). Add onions in it & cook until golden brown.
- Add the chopped vegetables in the pot and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add bay leaf & the paste prepared earlier.
- Add some water & salt as per taste.
- When the water starts boiling, add soaked rice in the pot.
- Place the above pot with ingredients over a shallow pan (tawa) to reduce the heat further.
- Cover the pot with a small towel napkin. Place a well-fitting lead over the towel. Keep some heavy weight on lead to prevent the steam from escaping.
- Slow down the fire and cook till the rice is done.
- Garnish the dish with brown onion & coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Contact Chef: Payal Jethani
If you like this recipe, you may also try: