Saag Gosht or Palak Gosht is a tangy & savory main course dish which is renowned in almost every part of the Indian Subcontinent. This delicious lamb and spinach curry is blend of tender luscious pieces of beef or lamb, cooked in spinach gravy & mixed with freshly ground spices. The rich & complex ingredients of lamb saag recipe give it a nourishing taste and flavor & satisfy the taste buds.
The term “gosht” is the transliteration for the Persian word which means “meat” or “flesh”& has been adopted by many South Asian languages. In India, gosht is referred to the meat of goat or mutton. However, in Pakistan, gosht is an essential element of their cuisines that features many meat-based curries & gravies.
The lamb and spinach saag gosht recipe is especially preferred in the Northern regions of India & Punjab (Pakistan) where the Mughal had left their enduring impact on South Asian cuisines. This lamb saag gosht recipe is not too spicy rather moderately spiced with the use of green chillies. It is extremely nutritious & rich in essential vitamins & minerals & can be easily scaled up to feed crowd at party, lunch or dinner.
Try your hands on this delectable palak saag gosht recipe at home & surprise your family & friends. I bet you are going to love it too!
Follow the detailed instructions given below to make scrumptious Saag Gosht at home:
If you like this recipe, you can also try other Mutton recipes such as :
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 1 Bunch Spinach
- 1 Kg Mutton
- 3 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Pod Black Cardamom
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Medium Sized Onions Ground them to Paste
- 15 Cloves garlic
- 4 Hot Green Chilies
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 4 Medium Sized Tomatoes Ground Them to Paste
- Salt to Taste
- 3 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- Put the spinach in a pan & add few tablespoons of water to it. Cook for 5 minutes until wilted. Grind the spinach in a blender to give a coarse paste & set it aside.
- Grind garlic cloves, green chilies & ginger altogether to a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat Vegetable Oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add black cardamom, cinnamon, clove & Bay Leaf to the oil & sauté until it gives out a nice aroma
- Add mutton & shallow fry until it turns golden.
- Now add Onion Paste & sauté it well.
- Add ginger, garlic & chilies paste to the mutton, mix well & sauté.
- Now add coriander power, salt, Garam Masala to mutton & mix them well
- Add tomatoes paste, mix well & cook on low flame for 15 to 20 minutes. Add a little water when desired.
- Now add Spinach puree to the mutton, mix it well & cook on slow flames for another 5 minutes.
- Close the pressure cooker & cook for 3 whistles or till the mutton is tender.
- The delectable & savory Saag Gosht is ready. Garnish with green chili & serve hot with Roti or Parantha.
Contact Chef: Sugandha Mathur