Mutton Rara is a mouthwatering Mutton recipe that is a unique combination of Mutton Pieces and Gosht Keema (Minced Mutton). This Punjabi mutton dish is best served with Naan, Kulcha or Butter Tandoori Roti. Mutton Rara takes a little more time and efforts to cook but the results are worth appreciating. It is served as a part of the Main Course Cuisine. This can also be cooked in Himachali Style
Recipe for Chicken Rara remains the same.
|Prep Time||30 Minutes|
|Cook Time||2 Hours|
|Passive Time||4 Hours|
- 500 Gram Mutton
- 200 Gram Minced Mutton (Keema)
- 4 Pc(s) Onions Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilli Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Kashmiri Lal Mirch (Red Chilli Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Cup Yogurt (Curd / Dahi) Should be Beaten
- 1/2 Cup Ghee(Clarified Butter)/Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Julienne Cut For Garnishing
- 1 Tablespoon Green Coriander Chopped For Garnishing
- Salt to Taste
- 4 Pc(s) Cloves / Laung
- 2 Pc(s) Green Cardamom / Ilayachi
- 1 Pc(s) Black Cardamom / Badi Ilayachi
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick / Dalcheeni / dalchini
- 2 Pc(s) Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- 5 Pc(s) Whole Black Pepper / Kali Mirchi Dana
- Marinate mutton pieces with curd, salt and garam masala powder. Give mutton pieces a nice rub and keep it aside for 3 - 4 hours.
- Heat Ghee/Oil in a heavy bottom pan or a pressure cooker.
- Add all the whole spices followed by adding the chopped onions after the whole spices crack. Fry the onions till they nice dark brown in color.
- Add the ginger garlic and chilli paste and bhuno (sauté) for some time.
- Now add all whole spices - Red Chilly Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder and salt. Add a few drops of water to prevent the masala from burning (this could be repeated as and when required).
- Add the marinated mutton and keep bhunoing (cooking) for 20 -25 minutes or till the oil separates from the mutton pieces.
- Add Keema (Minced Mutton). Stir continuously till the time the mutton is cooked well and a thick gravy consistency is reached. (To fasten the process, you may pressure cook the mutton.)
- The color of the gravy should turn dark brown from all the sauteing /bhuno process.
- Dish out the mutton in a bowl and garnish with chopped green coriander and ginger juliennes.
- The same process could be followed to make Chicken Rara and should not take more than 60 minutes to cook.
Good To Know: Learn what is Julienne Cut?
Contact Chef: Sugandha Mathur