Today we will learn how to make Restaurant Style Authentic Indian Tandoori Chicken at Home, without a Tandoor. A tandoor is a cylindrical clay or metal oven used in cooking and baking. Coal is burnt inside of this clay oven. The inside walls are used to bake the Indian breads like Naan & Roomali Roti. Coriander Chutney or Mint Chutney is an amazing side dish as an add-on to be served with Tandoori Chicken. This spicy Indian dish is called tandoori chicken because a full chicken is mounted on a metal stick and the stick is pushed in the heap of the burning coal. The chicken tastes amazing, but is a little dry. Though Tandoori chicken is identified as an Indo-Mughlai cuisine, it is actually a Sindhi Cuisine. Strong evidence of tandoori chicken & tandoor can be found in the Harappan civilization and dates back to 3000 BC. It is one of the best chicken appetizers & starters that can add flavor & aroma to your lunch & dinner parties. It is also known as Murgh Tandoor or tandoori Murga.
Tandoori chicken has found its way globally into the menu of all the Indian restaurants serving Non Vegetarian food. This crispy tandoori chicken recipe requires marinating of the chicken. A calculated mix of spices with curd & ample marination time is the key to a mouthwatering, delicious & delectable tandoori chicken. I have kept the cooking simple so that everyone can make this at home with minimum of spices with or without an oven. We will use thick curd in the process. You can check the process of making thick curd in the post here. Edible red color is added to the marinade to give the prepared dish the color red appearing it to flamy and red. You can experiment with other edible colors like green or yellow.
So let us begin.
Here is the YouTube Video recipe:
Please Like & Subscribe By Clicking here:
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||15-20 Minutes|
|Passive Time||4-6 Hours|
- 2 Tspn(s) Kashmiri Lal Mirch (Red Chilli Powder) According to your taste
- 1 Tspn(s) Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Tspn(s) Dried Fenugreek Leaves /Kasuri Methi
- 2 Tspn(s) Ginger Garlic Paste Make this paste with8-10 cloves of garlic and a 1 to 1.5 inch piece of ginger.
- 2 Tspn(s) Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 2 Tbsp(s) Mustard Oil / Sarson Ka Tel
- 1 Tspn(s) Chaat Masala
- 2 Tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee) / Butter
- 1 Cup(s) Thick Curd Curd should be thick or hung
- 2 Tspn(s) Salt As Per Taste
- 1 Pc(s) Whole Chicken Cut to pieces and washed properly
- 1 Pinch Edible Red Color
- 2 Pc(s) Lemon Cut into Wedges
- 2 Pc(s) Green Chili For Garnishing
- Keep your spices ready.
- Wash chicken thoroughly & Give slits to chicken pieces to the bone (2-3 cuts per piece).
- Add thick curd to a glass bowl. Add salt, Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, mustard oil, fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi/ कसूरी मेथी) to this bowl of curd.
- Make sure to rub the fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi/ कसूरी मेथी) between your palm as shown in the video while adding it to the curd bowl.
- Now add a pinch or edible red color. This is an optional step & you can avoid the color too.
- Whisk the mixture till the spice are properly blended with the curd. This will form a thick mixture as shown in the picture. Marinade should be thick enough to coat chicken properly.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade. Give it a good mix to ensure that the marinade is absorbed by the chicken pieces.
- Cover the bowl & refrigerate the chicken pieces for at least 4-6 hours. This is done to ensure that marinade penetrates the chicken pieces properly.
- Preheat the Air Fryer at 180 degrees for 5 Minutes. Brush the pan base of air fryer with ghee or butter.
- Now place marinated chicken pieces in air fryer, cook it for 15 -20 minutes.
- After 20 Minutes check if chicken is tender. At this point drizzle some butter on the chicken pieces. This is done to make the chicken pieces tender and moist. Now cook in the air fryer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Prepare the plate with mint chutney, onions, green chili & lemon wedges. Plate the chicken pieces & sprinkle some chat masala over them.
- Squeeze a few lemon drops (optional).
- Serve Hot to Your Friends & Family
Contact Chef: Payal Jethani
Serve With: Mint chutney, onion & lemon wedges. It is also served with Roomali Roti along side the mint chutney and onion salad.
Tips: You can use gas oven too.