Sindhi Bhuge Chawal or Sindhi Brown Rice is one of the most common delicacies of the Sindhi household. It is made with sautéed onion and aromatic spices. In the authentic recipe, tomatoes, peas and green chilies aren’t used but there are various versions which include the same.
Bhuge or Bhuga means caramelize or roast. The term is used in this context to this dish as we caramelize the onions till they turn brown in color & the cook the rice in these onions. Cooking the rice with caramelized onions & whole spices gives the rice a brown color and a tantalizing aroma. Hence they are called Sindhi Bhugga chawal or Bhuge Chawal.
Sindhi food takes time to cook but the taste is worth the effort and time. This rice recipe is however, super quick and amazingly delectable. Also known as the famous Sindhi Brown Pulao, Bhugge Chawal is one of the main dishes that are made in the pre-wedding feasts in the Sindhi Community. It is an inseparable part of the Sindhi lunch & dinner.
Bhuge Chawal are best served with Sai Bhaji, fried potatoes or aloo tuk, fried okra or fried eggplant & not to forget the Sindhi papad. It can also relished with plain yogurt or curd. Believe me, after learning this recipe, you’ll get bored of the plain steamed rice and would relish the Special Sindhi Bhuge Chawal more.
So without further delay let us learn how to make this delectable rice recipe.
Click here to SUBSCRIBE TO THE CHEF PAYAL JETHANI’S YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
Click the play button below to play the YouTube Video Recipe for Sindhi Brown Rice or Bhuge Chawal.
|Prep Time||5 Minutes|
|Cook Time||40 Minutes|
- 2 Cup Rice Washed & Pre-soaked for 30 Minutes
- 2 Pcs Onions Thinly Sliced Lengthwise
- 3 Pcs Bay Leaves (Tej Patta)
- 6 Pcs Cloves / Laung
- 12 Pcs Black Pepper Corns
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1 Tbsp. Salt As Per Taste
- ½ Tbsp. Red Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp. Garam Masala
- 4 Tbsp. Oil For Cooking
- 4 Cup Water
- Heat 4 Tbsp. oil in a handi/sipri.
- After the oil heats up add 1 Tsp. Cumin Seeds/Jeera, Bay Leaves, Cloves & Black Pepper Corns. Saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Now, add onions and cook the onions on low flame till they turn dark brown in color.
- When the onions turn dark brown in color, add 1 cup water, 1 Tbsp. Salt & ½ Tbsp. Red Chili Powder.
- Mix well & cook on low flame for 5 minutes to soften the onions.
- After 5 minutes of cooking when the onions soften up, add 3 cups of water. Water should be twice the quantity of the rice. As the rice were 2 cups thus we have now added 4 cups of water (1 earlier and 3 now). Now turn the flame to high and let the water come to a boil.
- After the water comes to a boil, add the pre-soaked rice to the handi. Mix well & add ½ Tsp. Garam Masala & mix well again. Now boil the rice on high flame for 5 to 10 minutes.
- After boiling for about 10 Minutes, cover the handi/sipri and cook the rice further for 10 to 12 minutes on low flame.
- Turn the flame off after approximately 10 minutes. Our Sindhi Bhuge Chawal are ready to be served. Dish out in a serving bowl.
- Serve with Sindhi Sai Bhaji, Aloo Took & papad.
Contact Chef: Payal Jethani
Goes well with: Sindhi Sai Bhaji, Aloo Took, Papapd & Curd.