What is the first word that comes to your mind when you hear the word Sindhi? Sindhi Kadhi, right?
A lot of people may or may not know the Sindhi culture but the one thing they know for sure is the Sindhi Kadhi. Sindhi cuisine & recipes are passed on from one generation to the other. Sindhi Kadhi has been an intriguing dish to all my friends since childhood. A lot of my friends wanted to eat this delectable dish. It is also known to some as Sindhi Besan Ki Kadhi.
I saw a lot of people post the Sindhi Kadhi Recipe over the internet, with variations like adding jaggery, mustard seeds, tomato, kadhi patta (curry leaves) etc. Believe you me, none of these ingredients are needed when preparing Authentic Sindhi Kadhi. The Sindhi Kadhi Recipe that I am presenting today, comes straight from a Sindhi Rasoi. It was taught to me by my mother & mother-in-law. To them it was taught by their mother & mother-in-law and so on and so forth.
The Sindhi Kadhi is supremely delicious and very easy to make. It is made from gram flour and vegetables. Vegetables like okra, eggplant, cauliflower, Indian squash (tinde), yam (suran), cluster beans (gwar fali), potatoes, green chilies, drumsticks (singi) & a lot more, are added to increase the taste & nutrition. This Authentic Sindhi Kadhi is served with steamed rice, as lunch only in the Sindhi Community. Papad (a staple appetizer of Sindhi’s) and sweet bundi (meethi boondi) garnished with Almond clipping are the condiments that are always served with this mouth-watering & exquisite Sindhi Kadhi. This recipe requires the use of tamarind water that needs to be prepared in advance. Click here to View the Tamarind Water Recipe Video or view the Text Version of the Tamarind Water Recipe.
So let us reveal the secret of this Sindh Cuisine without any further delays.
Click here to SUBSCRIBE TO THE CHEF PAYAL JETHANI’S YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
Hereunder is the YouTube Video Recipe for Authentic Sindhi Kadhi.
|Prep Time||20 Minutes|
|Cook Time||40 Minutes|
- 1/2 Cup(s) Gram Flour Besan
- 1/2 Cup(s) Tamarind Water Imli Ka Pani
- 1 Tbsp(s) Cumin Seeds Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 Tspn(s) Fenugreek Seeds Methi Dana
- 1 Tspn(s) Turmeric Powder Haldi
- 2 Tspn(s) Red Chili Powder Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 Tbsp(s) Salt As Per Taste
- 7 Tbsp(s) Oil
- 15-20 Pc(s) Cluster Beans Gwar Fali (Approx. 100 Grams)
- 2 Pc(s) Potatoes Large & Cut In Big Pieces
- 5-6 Pc(s) Whole Green Chilies Sabut Hari Mirch
- 4 Pc(s) Small Egg Plant Small Baingan (Cut in Halves)
- 8-10 Pc(s) Cauliflower Florets Fool Gobhi Ke Tukde
- 15-20 Pc(s) Okra Bhindi (Slit in length from the centre)
- Deep Fry okra (bhindi), cauliflower florets (fool gobhi ke tukde) and eggplant (baingan).
- Heat 5 tablespoons of oil in thick bottom pan.
- Add half of the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let them crackle.
- Once the Cumin & Fenugreek Seeds Crackle, add gram flour (besan) and cook till this mixture gives a good aroma and turns brown in color, as shown in the video above. Make sure to stir continuously while cooking the gram flour with oil.
- Once the Gram Flour is cooked, add 4 glasses of hot water. This helps in cooking the kadhi faster and adds to the taste & aroma of the Kadhi.
- Add salt, turmeric powder (haldi) and 1/4th teaspoon of red chilli powder & mix well.
- Give this mixture a good boil.
- After the boil we will add raw vegetables to the kadhi. We will add Cluster Beans (Gwar Fali), whole green chilies & potatoes.
- After 10-15 minutes of boiling the raw vegetables will become tender.
- Now add fried vegetables.
- Add tamarind water. Give it a good mix to dissolve the tamarind water.
- Cover the pan & cook the kadhi for another 10 minutes on low flame.
- Turn the flame off after 10 minutes & prepare the tadka / tempering.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and add the remaining cumin seeds (Jeera). Add red chili powder once the cumin seeds crackle.
- Mix well & pour this tempering / tadka over kadhi.
- Pour in a Bowl & Garnish with Fresh Coriander leaves.
- Sindhi Kadhi is now ready to be served.
- Serve kadhi hot and with rice, papad and meethi boondi.
Contact Chef: Payal Jethani
Tips: You can add fried or raw vegetables of your choice while making Sindhi Kadhi.
Tricks: Wash & add 7-8 pieces of kokum to the kadhi while adding the raw vegetables & tamarind water.
Served With: Fresh Steamed Rice, Papad & Meethi Boondi.