Gajar Ka Halwa or Carrot Halwa Recipe that I will tell you here is a detailed step-by-step guide. This video shares the traditional way of making a delicious gajar ka halwa without any shortcuts or tweaks. I have used Khoya or Feeka Mawa. It can also be made with Milkmaid.
Gajar Halwa is a delectable north Indian dessert. Gajar Ka Halwa is a winter dish as carrots are primarily availble in winters only. In traditional Punjabi Gajar Ka Halwa is also called gajrela. It is advisable to use carrots that are juicy and tender. Fibrous, hard and stringy carrots are difficult to grate and do not taste good at all.
गाजर का हलवा बनाने की विधि or the recipe is very simple. It takes time to cook but the taste is worth the effort. We would Need Carrots peeled and grated, sugar, khoya or mawa (unsweetened reduced dry milk), Ghee (Clarified butter), chopped dry fruits & cardamom powder.
Gajar ka halwa should be served hot as it is made using ghee. So without further delay let us learn to make this mouth-watering, lip smacking dessert.
Click here to SUBSCRIBE TO THE CHEF PAYAL JETHANI’S YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
Click here to play the YouTube Recipe Video for Traditional Gajae Ka Halwa.
|Prep Time||30 Minutes|
|Cook Time||50 Minutes|
- 2 Kg Carrots (Gajar) Peeled And Grated
- 200 Grams Sugar
- 1/2 Kg Khoya (Feeka Mawa)
- 4 Tbsp Clarified Butter / Ghee
- 1/2 Cup Dry Fruits Roughly Chopped
- 1/4 Tsp Elaichi Powder
- To a heavy bottom pan add grated carrots and sugar. Mix them thoroughly.
- Cover and cook carrots and sugar for 30 minutes on low flame. Keep stirring in between.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, the sugar will melt and the carrots will leave water. At this point mix well and cover & cook for the remainder 15 more minutes.
- After 30 Minutes of cooking, the water almost evaporates. Uncover, mix well and cook for another 5-10 minutes on medium flame. By doing so the water evaporates completely and the carrots turn dark red in color.
- After water completely dries up, add 4 Tbsp. Clarified Butter / Ghee & Cook 10 minutes on medium flame. Keep Stirring.
- After cooking for 10 minutes, add half kg feeka mawa (khoya) to the carrots. Mix mawa with the carrots properly till no khoya lumps are left and the khoya merges with carrots properly.
- After mixing well add cardamom powder and half of the roughly chopped dry fruits and mix well. Keep the remaining half for garnishing.
- After mixing cover and cook for another 10 minutes on low flame.
- Turn off the flame off after 10 minutes of cooking.
- Dish Out in a Serving Bowl & garnish with the remaining Dry Fruits. The Gajar Ka Halwa is ready to be served.
Contact Chef: Payal Jethani
Tips: Serve hot as it is made with clarified butter / ghee.
Check Out Other Dessert Recipes.