One of the most easy and quick Paneer Recipes is Paneer JalFrezi. So what exactly does the word “JalFrezi” mean? Well, the word originates from the Bengali Cuisine. Made with either meat, chicken, paneer & vegetables, stir fried and served with thick spicy gravy. JalFrezi word first occupied space in the British India cookbooks as a method of using the leftover and frying them with chilies, onion & spices. Common other ingredients include bell peppers, onions & tomatoes. Colloquial term jhāl porhezī can be broken into 2 parts i.e. jhāl meaning food with spicy gravy & porhezī meaning to avoid.
This paneer jalfrezi recipe is rather easy to make and is not very spicy but a dish all age group will relish. Paneer recipes have always been one of my favorites. It is not something Vegan’s would like. I have used Keto Ketchup in this recipe. You can use regular ketchup too. For those with a tongue for spices add very little of tabasco sauce.
Cottage Cheese or Paneer, is rich in protein & calcium & maintains blood sugar level. Cottage cheese is also a good source of potassium and thus is good for heart health and regulating blood pressure levels. Reasonable amount of phosphorus and magnesium thus helping in digestion and reducing constipation. Paneer is Rich in Folate which is a B-Complex vitamin and is good for pregnant women. It is one of the recommended diet food for weight loss too. Paneer is a rich source of conjugated linoleic acid which helps is the fat burning.
So without much further ado let us make Authentic Paneer JalFrezi.
Click here to SUBSCRIBE TO THE CHEF PAYAL JETHANI’S YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
Hereunder is the YouTube Video Recipe for Restaurant Style Paneer Jalfrezi.
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||20 Minutes|
- 200 Grams Paneer/Cottage Cheese Cut Lengthwise
- 1 Pc(s) Tomato Deseeded and Cut Lengthwise
- 1/2 Pc(s) Green Capsicum Cut Lengthwise
- 1/2 Pc(s) Red Bell Peppers Cut Lengthwise
- 1/2 Pc(s) Yellow Bell Pepper Cut Lengthwise
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 1/2 Inch Ginger Julienne Cut
- 2 Pc(s) Onion Finely Diced (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Pc(s) Tomatoes Finely Diced (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Tspn Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1 Tspn Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
- 2 Tspn Kashmiri Lal Mirch (Red Chilli Powder)
- 1 Tspn Chaat Masala
- 1 Tspn Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tbspn Salt As Per Taste
- 2 Tbspn Oil/Butter For Cooking
- In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds/jeera.
- When cumin seeds/jeera starts crackle add onion.
- Sauté onions till they turn light brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 15-20 seconds.
- Now add tomatoes, mix it well and add salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Cook this mixture for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add tomato ketchup/keto ketchup and mix nicely.
- Add capsicum, red bell peppers, and yellow bell peppers. Give it a good mix and add cottage cheese/paneer pieces. Mix well and sauté for 10-15 seconds.
- Add 1/4th cup of water to avoid drying up and cook for 2 minutes after adding water.
- Now add chat masala, garam masala and length cut tomatoes. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, do not overcook tomatoes.
- After 2 minutes of cooking turn off the stove and garnish it with fresh coriander.
- Paneer Jalferzi is now ready to serve, garnish it with ginger juliennes.
Contact Chef: Payal Jethani
Served With: Roti, Parantha and Naan