Kadhai Chicken also spelt as Karahi Chicken or Kadai Chicken is a mughlai recipe that originated in Lahore. This Recipe has travelled the world and has many different variants. It is primarily served as a Main Course Lunch and Dinner. Kadhai Chicken is a delectable and easy to make chicken recipe. Chicken is cooked with onion, tomato, capsicum, ginger garlic and freshly ground spices. These freshly ground spice are also known as Kadhai Masala. This spicy semi dry chicken dish is served with Naan, Khamiri Roti, and Steamed Rice. It also goes well with the other regular Indian breads.
If you even happen to visit India, this dish would be available on almost every restaurant’s menu that serves non vegetarian cuisine.
If you are a vegetarian, substitute chicken with Paneer (Cottage Cheese) in the same recipe to get Kadhai Panner. The chef has also launched her YouTube Channel & thus we are also posting the video recipe here.
Please like & subscribe to her channel to show your support. Without Much further ado let us begin:
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||45 Minutes|
- 6 TeaSpoon(s) Coriander Seeds
- 2 TeaSpoon(s) Cumin Seeds
- 4 Pc(s) Whole Dry Red Chilli Preferably Kashmiri Mirch
- 2 Teaspoon(s) Black Peppercorn
- 1 Teaspoon(s) Black Salt
- 750 Grams Chicken Preferably Thigh Boneless Pieces
- 1 Tablespoon(s) Oil Non Fragrant Oil
- 1 Tablespoon(s) Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 3 Teaspoon(s) Ginger Garlic Chopped Equal Quantity Of Both
- 3 Pc(s) Onions Large Onions Finely Chopped
- 1 Pc(s) Onion Large Onion Diced
- 3 Pc(s) Tomatoes Large Tomatoes Finely Chopped
- 1 Pc(s) Tomato Medium Tomato Diced
- 1 Pc(s) Capsicum Medium Capsicum Diced
- 1 TableSpoon(s) Fresh Cream Optional
- 1/4 TeaSpoon(s) Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 3 Teaspoon(s) Red Chilli Powder
- 3 Teaspoon(s) Coriander Powder
- Salt As Per Taste
- 4 Teaspoon(s) Kadhai Masala Made From "Kadhai Masala" Section Above
Ingredients For Kadhai Chicken
- Heat coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilli, peppercorn and salt in a pan.
- Dry roast till you get a nice aroma.
- Grind it into coarse powder & set aside 4 Teaspoons of this Masala.
- Heat oil or ghee in a Karahi / Pan. Let us Call this Pan 1.
- Add chopped ginger-garlic and saute2-3 Minutes.
- Now, add onion and saute till the onion color changes to pink.
- Now, add dry spices: salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder and saute well for 3-5 minutes.
- Once the masala is cooked, add chopped tomatoes and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Heat another pan and add oil or ghee. Let us call this Pan 2.
- Add diced chicken and cook till the extra water dries up from the chicken.
- Now add onion, capsicum, tomato, salt and saute for about a minute.
- Add chili powder, salt, dry karahi masala it and mix well.
- Add this chicken and vegetable mix to the prepared gravy in Pan 1 and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Now add some cream and mix well.
- Garnish it with some cream and karahi masala and serve hot with Naan or Roti.
Contact Chef: Sugandha Mathur
Tips: Don’t cook the dry kadhai masala for too long, or else it will loose its aroma.