Yummm is the only word I have for this lip smacking chutney Recipe. This Traditional Sweet & Sour Raw Mango Chutney, also known as kachhe aam ki launji, is from the ancient Rajasthani Cuisine. The word Launji come from Sanskrit & means a chutney or a pickle prepared with the raw mango or raw mango skin.
Due to insufficient rainfall and scarcity of seasonal vegetables, the Rajasthani cuisine enjoyed unique but flavorful recipes. Lehsun ki chutney, pickles are some of these unconventional condiments. These are good enough to replace the vegetables with the regular meal. This Rajasthani Keri ki Launji is one such unique recipe.
The tough climate combined with the non-availability of ingredients in Rajasthan has been a great influence on the unique taste and creativity of these recipes. Rajasthan was famous for the use of garlic and onion but this recipe is the most Authentic Kairi Ki Launji Recipe in Hindi. This Mango Launji does not use garlic or onion. It is prepared with the least and the simplest of spices available. It is also a good Jain Recipe. Scarcity of the rainfall led to the unique method of preparation, because of which these dishes can be stored for a long period of time. It was more of a necessity than a choice.
I have seen variations to the recipe and the fact that some variations add to the taste cannot be denied however, this is a the most authentic and simplest way of preparing the Kairi ki launji.
Click here to SUBSCRIBE TO THE CHEF PAYAL JETHANI’S YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
Click here to play the YouTube Video Recipe for Authentic Kairi Ki Launji.
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||12 Minutes|
|Passive Time||30 Minutes|
- 500 Grams Raw Mango Pealed and Roughly Chopped
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Seeds / Kalaunji
- 1 Tsp Regular Salt As Per Taste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 6 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Roughly Crushed Red Chili / Kuti Lal Mirch
- Heat 2 Tbsp. Oil in a Pan.
- When the oil heats up add – ¼ Tsp. Asafoetida / Hing, ½ Tsp. Cumin Seeds / Jeera & ½ Tsp. Onion Seeds / Kalaunji.
- When these three start to crackle then cook these spices for 5-10 seconds and add chopped raw mango. Mix Well after adding raw mangoes.
- Now Add 1 Tsp/ Salt & 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder / Haldi. Mix Well and saute for about 1 minute on medium flame.
- After sautéing for 1 minute cover & cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- After 5 minutes of cooking the raw mango becomes soft. Now add 1 Tsp. Roughly Crushed Red Chili / Kuti Lal Mirch & 6 Tbsp. Sugar. Adjust Sugar as per your taste.
- Mix well and cook for 10 to 15 seconds. Cover & Cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
- After 5 minutes of cooking the sugar melts and becomes transparent in color.
- Finally add ½ Tsp. Garam Masala & mix well.
- The launji is now ready. Switch the gas off and dish out in a bowl or storage container.
- Let it come down to room temperature. Refrigerate the launji once it cools down to room temperature.
- Serve it with Parantha & Chhach / Butter Milk as breakfast. It tastes Amazing with Poori, Roti Sabzi & Rice.
Contact Chef: Payal Jethani
Tips: Store it in the fridge and you can use it for a week or two.
Goes well with: Parantha & Chhach / Butter Milk as breakfast. It tastes Amazing with Poori, Roti Sabzi & Rice.