Tartar Sauce is a mayonnaise or Aioli based sauce that originated in France. Basic tartar sauce recipe ingredients include mayonnaise (or Aioli), lemon juice, chopped pickles, capers, chopped onion, green sweet relish, hard-boiled eggs & olives.
Usually, tartar sauce recipe has a rough consistency as diced pickled cucumber, base capers & parsley are added to it. Some people prefer to mix Mayonnaise with hung curd or Greek yogurt in order to make it healthier.
The healthy and quick tartar sauce recipe is prominently used as a condiment that adds flavor to deep fried seafood dishes. The yogurt tartar sauce greatly serves as a dip for Chips & Fries.
The tartar sauce is usually prepared several hours before using it, however it can be used immediately once it’s prepared! In addition to that, this recipe can be stored in refrigerator up to two weeks.
You can relish this luscious tartar sauce with fried fish sticks, salmon cakes, breaded fish fillets or any other fried stuff. Serve it as sauce or dip with starters to give a perfect kick start to parties & celebrations.
Follow the instructions given below to make the best tartar sauce at home.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||5 minutes|
|Passive Time||5 minutes|
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Hung Curd or Greek Yogurt Optional
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sweet Pickle Relish Alternatively you may use Chopped Green Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Squeezed Lemon Juice Or As per taste
- Salt to Taste
- Grounded Black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Prepared Yellow Mustard Optional
- In a mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, curd (optional), sweet pickle relish (or Chopped Green Pepper) and mustard & mix them well.
- Add chopped onion & lemon juice to the mixture and give it a stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add salt & ground black pepper followed by a good stir. The palatable tartar sauce recipe is ready.
- Refrigerate the sauce for at least 60 minutes before serving as it allows the tartar sauce to thicken & flavors to develop as it chills.
Contact Chef: Sugandha Mathur